Korea Summer Program
Duration: Six weeks
Age of Students: High School Students ages 15 to 18
Class Hours: 120 hours / 4 hours per day
Target Proficiency: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced
Overseas Partner: YES International
Overseas Language Institution: Sogang University, Seoul, South Korea
Host Family Accommodation: Korean families in Seoul
Course and Program Description
The goal of the NSLI for Youth Summer Intensive Language Program in Korean administered by iEARN-USA and YES International is to rapidly increase students’ Korean vocabulary and ability to communicate with confidence. Classrooms will provide a creative environment for students to extensively practice their Korean skills with a focus on speaking and comprehension skills. Other activities and homework assignments will be theme-based and will include writing dialogues, along with organized opportunities to practice dialogues outside
- 120 hours of Korean Language Instruction at Sogang University in Seoul
- Organized language enhancement opportunities with Korean University students, also referred to as the “Buddy Program”.
- 6 weeks of Host family living with Koreans throughout the Seoul area.
- Guided excursions of Korea by local tour guides.
- Courses on Korean cuisine, history, art, music and Taekwondo.
- Develop students’ Korean skills (listening, speaking, reading, and writing) at the elementary,
- intermediate and advanced levels in an immersion learning environment.
- Improve students’ understanding of traditional and modern Korean culture through various kinds of interactive cultural activities.
- Build new personal and institutional relationships between our students and their Korean peers, host families, and between the United States and Korea.
- Foster continued study of the Korean language and culture upon the students’ return to the United States.
- Enhance students’ self-awareness and confidence and build interpersonal communicative skills.
Click here for a brief video.